NOTE: You may visit the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs website for up to date information on System grants.
EMERGING S&T FIELDS GRANT
Currently, the UP System has one grant, the “Emerging S&T Fields Grant”. The general guidelines are as follows:
- This Grant shall support inter-/multi-disciplinary research programs/projects related to the BOR-approved list of emerging fields in S&T.
- The components of the “Emerging S&T Grant” are the following:
- Institutional Development Grant – for the acquisition of equipment and for maintenance and operating costs to be used by existing as well as proposed R&D programs
- Emerging S&T Research Grant – for undertaking research projects in support of the emerging S&T fields research programs. The guidelines shall be patterned generally on the existing UP System Research and Creative Work Grant.
- Regular faculty with the rank of Assistant Professor and higher, and REPS with the rank of University Researcher I and higher, may apply for the Grant, individually or as a group.
- The following application process shall be followed:
- Proponent(s) shall submit 6 copies of research proposals using OVPAA Emerging S&T Form – 01 and/or 02.
- Preliminary screening shall be done at the CU level. The proposals shall be endorsed through channels to the System Committee on Emerging S&T Fields, c/o OVPAA.
- After a preliminary evaluation by the System Committee, the proponents, together with the Vice Chancellor(s) for Research (or the equivalent) of all CUs involved in case of research programs shall be invited for interview and requested to present (powerpoint presentation) their proposals before the System Committee. The latter shall assist the proponents improve on the proposals, if necessary.
- The proponents shall revise the proposals as agreed upon during the presentation/interview.
- The System Committee shall recommend to the President the research programs/projects to be funded.
- The number of grants to be awarded shall be subject to availability of funds. Research programs which require big amounts of funding may be submitted as a UP proposal to other funding agencies like DOST, with substantial UP counterpart.
- The CU Offices of the Vice Chancellor for Research (or the equivalent) shall be responsible for monitoring the progress of the research programs/projects. An annual report shall be submitted to the OVPAA.
- Should results of the research programs/projects be published or publicly presented, the funding support from the University shall be acknowledged. The provisions of the University’s intellectual property rights shall be followed.
- The provisions of the contract particularly the terms of reference and the contractual obligations shall be discussed with the grantee(s) prior to execution of the contract.
- Additional guidelines shall be set as need arises.
List of Emerging Fields in S&T to be Developed in UP
- Nano materials
- Molecular medicines
- Food sufficiency
- Robust crops
- Yield enhancement
- Disease characterization and DNA sequencing
- Vaccine development
- Drug discovery and drug delivery
- Advanced microelectronics and computational algorithmics
- “Systems on a chip“
- Reconfigurable, cognitive and software-defined radio
- Machine vision and new user interfaces
- Environmental monitoring and habitat protection
- Disaster mitigation and early warning systems
- Energy efficient sensors and instrumentation
- Precision agriculture and aquaculture
- Next generation networks and Internet
- Network algorithms and quality of service
- Distributed computing
- Optical communications in wired networks
- Cost-effective rural connectivity and distance learning
- Pervasive healthcare
MEASUREMENT AND INSTRUMENTATION (in support of Materials, Biotechnology and Pervasive Computing)
- Nanometer (10-9 meter) scale
- Nanosecond (10-9 second) events
- Separation Science
- Mechatronics – micro/nano scale